Flathead County Courthouse — Historic Restoration

CTA was the designer of record for all disciplines and specifically provided architectural, environmental engineering, historic preservation, interior design, mechanical engineering, and structural engineering.

Originally constructed in 1903, this 14,200 sq. ft., three-story facility with cut stone base and masonry brick facade is still the tallest structure in the vicinity and predominantly terminates Main Street in Kalispell, MT. After years of patching, the building was showing its age with sagging floors, leaking foundations, and many safety concerns.

CTA was initially hired to design an addition on the south side of the courthouse to house a new egress stair and elevator lobby. However, CTA guided Flathead County on a comprehensive analysis taking the client back to the drawing board and finding a creative way to use the $2.3 million earmarked for the addition to fund a comprehensive rehabilitation project — better utilizing the space and adaptably reusing the no longer relevant vault spaces into an egress stair and elevator shaft. This project included masonry retucking, replastering, seismic upgrades, a new fire sprinkler system, technology integration throughout, and restoring the grand staircase and commissioner’s chambers to its original grandeur.

CTA historic architect Lesley Gilmore led the team through sensitive research, and applicable restoration and replacement details. This project has been recognized by the Montana Contractors Association as the 2012 Best Historic Restoration project and was awarded the Governor’s Special Montana Historic Presentation Award for Outstanding Stewardship.