The mission of the Hammond Bay Biological Station in Millersburg, MI, is research and testing for control of sea lamprey, an invasive species in the Great Lakes. The station consists of several buildings on a 59-acre site located on Lake Huron. Built in 1879, the original 1,950 sq. ft. facility has been sequentially expanded as needs changed and funding for expansion became available. Now 10,400 sq. ft. in size, the current facility is outdated, does not comply with accessibility and building codes, is energy-inefficient, and has physical constraints that limit conducting progressive science in the lab and in the field.
CTA has designed a new 10,000 sq. ft. lab building with a 800 sq. ft. pump house and a one million-gallon water tank to provide laboratory and heating water to the new building. The new facility includes wet labs, dry labs, two raceways, UV treatment of both incoming and outgoing water, and an energy-efficient heat pump system to not only heat the building but provide controllable lab water for experiments. The project includes a new 12-in. waterline that extends 1/2 mi. into Lake Huron to provide water to the tank. With a cost of $9 million, the project is currently under construction.